Project management is practice and a set of concepts that are based on that practice, that define culture of managing of projects from the moment when the project manager is authorized and up to the project closing. The Management aims to achieve specific goals and to meet specific success criteria. The Management often has a defined beginning (often, constituted by funding) and ending (often, constituted by bringing desired deliverables to their beneficiary).
- Project scope. The work that must be performed to produce a deliverable with the specified features and functions.
According to the HRBoK Guide,
- Project management. Planning and guiding processes. A methodical approach to planning and guiding project processes from start to finish.
According to Management by Robbins and Coulter (14th edition),
- Project management. The task of getting a project's activities done on time, within budget, and according to specifications.
Project Management Institute (PMI) studies only the subset of the Management in which (a) projects are formally-defined, (b) often, project manager and project sponsor are different roles, and, (c) usually, some project team is supposed to work on a project. According to PMI,
- Project management. The application of knowledge, skills, tools, and techniques to project activities to meet the project requirements.
Project management vs effort administration
- Main wikipage: Project team management
Often, the Management is defined as management of the work of a project team, which is literally incorrect. Project team management should be considered as a separate set of concepts since the overwhelming majority of projects require no project team working on those.
- First, have a definite, clear practical ideal; a goal, an objective. Second, have the necessary means to achieve your ends; wisdom, money, materials, and methods. Third, adjust all your means to that end. -- Aristotle, Philosopher
- I don't work on a project unless I believe that it will dramatically improve life for a bunch of people. -- Dean Kamen, American Entrepreneur and Inventor
- All things are created twice; first mentally; then physically. The key to creativity is to begin with the end in mind, with a vision and a blue print of the desired result. -- Stephen Covey
- No matter how good the team or how efficient the methodology, if we’re not solving the right problem, the project fails. –- Woody Williams
- One of the true tests of management is the ability to recognize a problem before it becomes an emergency. -- Arnold Glasow
- Operations keep the lights on, strategy provides the light at the end of the tunnel, but project management is the train engine that moves the organization forward. -- Joy Gumz
- Main wikipage: Project management practice